This weekend, I bicycled to a free concert, to Sunday Brunch, around my neighborhood for fun and to the beach with friends. I ride my bicycle because it’s fun – and, of course, healthy/sustainable/social, too. I like never having to pay for parking or stress about finding a parking spot on South Beach. Of course, there are lots of reasons to ride.
Women’s Health Magazine posted a fun little piece geared towards getting their readers on bikes. The magazine has posted several stories over the last year, profiling formerly overweight women who found new energy after getting on the bike. I have to say, bicycling gives me energy like only a cafesito can come close to-
Why do you ride? SFBC members are racers, moms who ride their kids to school, fixed-gear diehards and beach cruisers… We would love to hear from you why you ride and what you want from your South Florida Bike Coalition. Please email us at SFBikeCoalition@yahoo.com or call us 305.982.7343 and let us know!
Some of what we’ve heard already:
- You want to be part of the SFBC, pursuing legal action against transportation agencies that don’t consider you traffic.
- You see SFBC membership as an opportunity to demonstrate to others that you take bicycling seriously.
- You see SFBC like a union, providing a stronger voice for the weekend rider.
- You want SFBC to help you advocate for yourself, for better bikeways and stronger law enforcement.
- You believe that the streets would be safer if there were better education campaigns, like Ride Right/Drive Right, and you support SFBC because you want your money to help make these things happen.
- You see South Florida changing for the better, and you want to be a part of it.
I’m personally so proud to be a part of the SFBC and to work with our members to make all of this happen. Thank you so much for being a part of this positive revolution. I look forward to meeting you in person!
UPDATE: Wow, you all have responded in a big way to this on our facebook page (Facebook.com/SFBikeCoalition). I wanted to respond to some of the questions but feel it needs a post all to itself. Tomorrow’s post: HOW Do I Ride…